This week on The Spectator Film Podcast…
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988) 4.27.19
Featuring: Ellie, Austin
Commentary track begins at 20:00
— Notes —
- We watched the Criterion Collection release of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, and we highly recommend watching this version of the film.
- ‘Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown: A Sweet New Style’ by Elvira Lindo for Criterion Collection — A great essay introducing the film that accompanies the Criterion Collection release of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.
- Desire Unlimited: The Cinema of Pedro Almodóvar by Paul Julian Smith — A fantastic critical introduction to the work of Pedro Almodóvar, featuring some writing on each one of his movies and well-written chapter on Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.
- ‘Almodóvar, Pedro’ by Steven Marsh from Senses of Cinema — The Senses of Cinema great director profile on Pedro Almodóvar.
- A Companion to Pedro Almodóvar edited by Kathleen M. Vernon and Marvin D’Lugo — This Wiley-Blackwell companion to Almodóvar has some pretty neat essays on a wide variety of topics and different parts of his career, but, as is the case with all Wiley-Blackwell companions, the price is exorbitant. Look for it in your library!
- ‘Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988) – Review’ by Pauline Kael from Scraps from the Loft
— Corrections —
- Ian Mckellen’s birthday is May 25th.