Les Diabolique (1955)
This week on The Spectator Film Podcast…
Les Diabolique (1955) 3.15.19
Featuring: Austin, Maxx
Commentary begins at 22:29
— Notes —
- We watched the Criterion Collection release of Les Diabolique this week.
- “Clouzot, Henri-Georges” by Fiona Watson on Senses of Cinema — The great director profile for Henri-Georges Clouzot on Senses of Cinema
- The Fantastic: A Structural Approach to Literary Genre by Tzvetan Todorov — Here’s a link to Todorov’s book on the fantastic, where he establishes the term. It’s an incredibly useful and frequently used term by scholars, particularly when working in the realm of genre criticism. If you’re interested in learning more about the fantastic you can also check this post on Owlcation and then this excerpted PDF chapter on the fantastic.
- Henri-Georges Clouzot by Christopher Lloyd — In the brief searching I did, this seems to be the best introduction to criticism on Clouzot’s work. It’s a solid book, and anyone interested in learning more about the history of Clouzot’s film productions, his life, and a few different critical perspectives on his work should look into it.
— Corrections —
- The cinematographer of The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) is Rudolph Maté.
- The cinematographer of Cat in the Hat (2003) is Emmanuel Lubezki.